Welcome to the GFIS Blog!
In this blog forest professionals around the world share their ideas and experiences on forest information management and sharing with the global forestry community. Besides the blog posts you can find GFIS workshop material here.
06 Feb · Wed 2013
Recent Changes to GFIS
The Global Forest Information Service has recently underwent a number of changes to improve usability and information access. While not all the updates can be seen, you will notice a slight change to the layout and design of the homepage. Outlined below are the changes you should know about:
- Inclusion of highlighted topics which brings together information from our partners under popular and important themes. There are more topics available than those shown on the homepage banner.
- Ability to create custom RSS feeds to ensure that you will stay up-to-date with the research and information you need most.
- Subscription button to the monthly GFIS newsletter so that you can get updated with the most popular information from our partners. Optimized for mobile devices.
- Website optimization so that no matter where you are in the World GFIS will load faster, giving you access to the information you desire.
- Ability to harvest YouTube playlists which means that users will see a
great increase in the number of forest-related videos in our Videos section.
These changes improve your ability to access information on GFIS. Spend some time navigating through the pages and get yourself familiarized.
06 Aug · Mon 2012
Global Forest Information Service (GFIS) Newsletter Fourth Edition
A new edition of the GFIS Newsletter is out once again. In the newsletter you will find:
- highlights from the IUFRO-Director's Forum & ALL Division 9 Conference held in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina May 2012.
- information about GFIS's work with the IUFRO-FORNESSA Regional Congress & ITTO/AFF Forest Policy Day held in Nairobi, Kena June 2012.
- a sample of site statistics Jan-June 2012; and
- an article entitled Putting Forests to Rights written by Marcus Colchester - Director, Forest Peoples Programme.
To view the newsletter in its entirety see the link below:
16 Feb · Thu 2012
The latest GFIS Newsletter has been released. Click the below link to read it online.