Sign up to receive updates:      

SEARCH


How to search

Collaborative community of 350+ partners promoting forest information

TOPIC

Forests & SDGs


IISD -3 days ago

Forest and Farm Facility Launches Partnership in Togo in Support of SDGs

The FFF aims to improve the livelihoods of rural people by working with forest and farm producer organizations to increase their technical and commercial capacities to tackle climate change and improve food security. The second phase of FFF aims to help deliver the SDGs....

IISD -5 days ago

UN Agencies Call for Integrated Approaches to Infrastructure Development

A group of UN organizations has issued a call for integrated approaches to infrastructure development as a means of increasing the safety, sustainability and resilience of infrastructure and accelerating the SDGs. The UN agencies recommend a life-cycle approach, and suggest that designers and planners apply a mitigation hierarchy to prioritize efforts to avoid negative environmental and social eff...

IISD -1 week ago

UNECE Event Recognizes Local Governments’ Role in Achieving SDGs

The event sought to enable the exchange of views and knowledge sharing of good practices and successful planning strategies. UNECE Executive Olga Algayerova acknowledged the need for the UN to give mayors and local governments more space to discuss practical action and solutions to achieve the SDGs. Urban areas comprise over 75% of the population in Europe, 80% in North America and almost 50% in C...

IISD -2 weeks ago

Synergy Conference Underscores Inextricable Links Between Climate, Sustainable Development Agendas

The conference was part of the UN’s comprehensive review of climate action in 2019. DESA and the UNFCCC agreed to establish a global knowledge network and platform on climate and SDG synergies to be launched prior to the HLPF. Liu Zhenmin, UN Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs, urged designing policies, programmes and partnerships that work in tandem to achieve synergies bet...

IISD -2 weeks ago

Paper Calls for “Unprecedented” Transformation of Infrastructure Systems to Achieve Climate, Development Objectives

The paper highlights opportunities for improving upstream strategic planning to meet adaptation, mitigation and biodiversity goals and the SDGs, particularly in low-income countries. It notes that focusing on low-carbon solutions has led to gaps in adaptation to existing climate impacts....

IISD -3 weeks ago

Event: Climate Chance Summit – Africa 2019

The ‘Climate Chance Summit – Africa 2019’ will bring together non-State actors fighting climate change on the African continent, including local governments, businesses, trade unions, environmental non-governmental organizations (NGOs), farmers, women and youth organizations, researchers and other stakeholders in Accra, Ghana, to reinforce the operational roadmaps adopted at the 2018 editio...

IISD -3 weeks ago

FAO Kickstarts Global Forest Resources Assessment 2020

The Global Forest Resources Assessment 2020 technical meeting explored ways to link the FRA process to national reporting on SDG indicators. The ongoing partnership between FAO and Google will enable FRA National Correspondents and their collaborators to access Google Earth Engine, as well as other relevant external data sources and geospatial tools....

IISD -3 weeks ago

UNEP Report Finds “Good Progress” on 23% of Environment-related SDG Indicators

The report finds “good progress” for 23% of the 93 environment-related SDG indicators, insufficient data to assess progress for 68%, and limited likelihood that the target will be met without increased action for 9%. More than 30% of the environment-related SDGs indicators still lack an agreed methodology. SDG 12 (responsible consumption and production) is characterized by the least data avail...

CI -4 weeks ago

Intern, Green Infrastructure

DESCRIPTION Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.  POSITION SUMMARY Conservation International and the City University of New York’s Environmental Sciences Initiative are launching an ...

IISD -4 weeks ago

UNFF Reflects on Forest Policy Coherence

The note suggests that UNFF 14 emphasize the importance of enhancing synergies and collaboration in advancing coherent implementation and achievement of the UN Strategic Plan for Forests, the Paris Agreement on climate change, the Aichi Biodiversity Targets, voluntary national contributions and NDCs. The note also emphasizes he need to continue to address interlinkages between forests and the SDGs...

IISD -4 weeks ago

UNFF Note Highlights Linkages Among Forests, SDGs 4, 8, 10, 13, 16

In line with the 2019 HLPF review cycle, the UNFF Bureau decided that technical discussions at UNFF would focus on the following priorities: forests and SDG 13; forests and SDG 8; and forests and SDGs 4, 10 and 16, taking into account SDG 17. The UNFF Secretariat released a background note that analyzes the interlinkages among these Goals and makes suggestions for UNFF 14....

ITTO -1 month ago

Learn to love forests! Helping build a sustainable future through forest education

Understanding forests and keeping them healthy is crucial for our future. It’s so important, in fact, that “Forests and Education” is the theme of this year’s International Day of Forests on 21 March. ITTO is marking the day by showing how diverse forest stakeholders are learning about forests and their roles in meeting human needs and the Sustainable Development Goals. T...